UPC Session Summary, March 2, March 2014
The Session of UPC:
- was led in a devotion by Denise Yanaura
- welcomed April and Ralph Lane into membership and they shared us their faith journey.
- welcomed new session members, Jerry Lamme and Adam Miller and continuing elder, Cathy Andreen. We took time to identify the varied strengths and gifts around the session table. We are grateful for the diversity of our group – from long time members to newer members, from detailed organizers to visionaries.
- approved a $200 contribution to Paige Miller to support her attendance at the CARE Conference. (Paige also received $500 support from the Presbytery’s Peace, Justice & Hunger Committee.)
- voted to participate in an ecumenical Habitat for Humanity build being sponsored by First Presbyterian Church. After determining how much money remains in a UPC disaster recovery fund, we will decide how much to contribute financially, in addition to promoting volunteer involvement. The dates of the build have not been finalized by Habitat.
- received minutes from Personnel & Finance and Worship Committees, and heard a report from Buildings and Grounds regarding upcoming repair work to the eaves of the sanctuary building as well as repairs to the chancel ceiling. Personnel was happy to share with the session that Leslie Poss will be continuing on as the part time office administrator. We will receive the clerk’s statistical report (required for the Presbytery) at the next scheduled meeting.
- approved the minutes of the previous meeting and adjourned with prayer.
October 20, 2013 Regular Meeting of Session
Summary of Actions:
- Opened with the lighting of the Christ candle, a devotion from Becki Evans, and prayer.
- Approved a request from Scott O’Toole to host a benefit concert (percussion & piano) for AIDS Alabama/West Alabama AIDS Outreach in early December. We will donate use of the sanctuary and fellowship hall. A $5 donation will be encouraged. Refreshments (non-alcoholic beverages and dessert) will be served.
- Approved Nancy DuPree’s suggestion to give a gift to Claire Nichols, our Committee on Ministry liaison. Linda Grote suggested gift selections from the Presbyterian Mission Agency Giving Catalog. The Session approved the gift of a treadle irrigation pump, a bag of Moringa Tree seeds and a bag of corn, millet sorghum and rice seed. Read more about these gifts at www.presbyteriangifts.org.
- Voted to step down from providing once a month dinners for the Bama UKirk (Campus Ministry) after November. Instead, the Session voted to host a pot luck lunch on the Sunday that the students lead our worship service in the spring.
- Voted to receive a special offering for our new hymnals which would allow individuals to honor or memorialize a family member, friend or organization.
- Approved the receiving of the PC (USA) Christmas Joy Offering.
- Agreed to dedicate a portion of next month’s meeting to reviewing the budget, and allow time for questions.
- Heard reports from Committees (Minutes of committee reports are available.)
- Heard pastor’s report.
- Approved Steve Borelli’s request for transfer of membership to the Unitarian Universalist Church.
- Approved Leslie Poss’ request to transfer her membership from First Methodist to UPC.
- Set our next meeting for Sunday, November 24 at 4:30.
- Adjourned with prayer.